variants: or Dumpster diving
Definition of dumpster diving
: the practice of searching through public trash receptacles for edible food or discarded items that retain some use or value When he talks about his experiment in dumpster diving, Ferrell emphasizes that he had advantages that most people who scrounge for a living do not—his own house, a pickup truck, and a wife with a job.— Tom Bartlett Today, Mr. Jones … subsists by Dumpster diving, doing odd jobs and, when he sees the opportunity, scavenging scrap metal.— John Eligon … a freegan is a person who has decided to boycott capitalist society by severely curtailing consumption of resources through reusing, recycling and Dumpster diving.— Raina Kelley In Boulder, an affluent town of 96,700, where houses are demolished to make way for mansions, Dumpster diving for building supplies may have found its cultural moment.— Hillary Rosner
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game