dry offphrasal verb
dried off; drying off; dries off
Definition of dry off
1 : to become dry My umbrella's drying off in the hall.
2 : to make one's body dry We got out of the pool and dried off.
3 : to make (someone or something) dry He dried off the bench and sat down. Dry yourself off and get dressed.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game