dry offphrasal verb
dried off; drying off; dries off
Definition of dry off
1 : to become dry My umbrella's drying off in the hall.
2 : to make one's body dry We got out of the pool and dried off.
3 : to make (someone or something) dry He dried off the bench and sat down. Dry yourself off and get dressed.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game