drop like fliesidiom
Definition of drop like flies
: to become ill or die over a short period of time and in large numbers Horses and cattle dropped like flies during the drought. The heat was so intense that people were dropping like flies. —often used figuratively Candidates were dropping like flies during the early part of the campaign.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game