drain offphrasal verb
drained off; draining off; drains off
Definition of drain off
1 : to cause (a liquid) to flow away from something or to leave the surface of something When the beans have cooked long enough to be tender, drain off the water and set them aside.
2 : to take (something important or valuable) from something An independent candidate could drain off votes from either party.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?