Definition of dragline
1 : a line used in or for dragging
2 : an excavating machine in which the bucket is attached by cables and operates by being drawn toward the machine
3 : a strong stiff strand of silk produced by a spider especially to form the framework of its web and as a means of lowering itself from and returning to a height
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?