variants: or dot-dash \ ˈ⸗¦⸗ \
Definition of dot-and-dash
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : formed of or as if of alternating dots and dashes run a dot-and-dash line across the sheet
2 : consisting of or using an alphabet made up of dots and dashes as signals for communicating secret conversations by means of long and short muscular movements in the Morse dot-and-dash system
variants: or dot-dash \ " \
Definition of dot-and-dash (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : to mark with a succession of dots and dashes
2 : to convey by means of a dot-and-dash system
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game