domestic sciencenoun, chiefly British, old-fashioned
Definition of domestic science
: a subject or class that teaches skills (such as cooking or sewing) which are useful in the home : home economics The girls weren't supposed to be good at "maths," so we took arithmetic, and while the boys were spending long hours studying maths we took needlework and domestic science instead.— Denny Taylor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game