Definition of dog day
1a dog days plural : the period between early July and early September when the hot sultry weather of summer usually occurs
b : a day in dog days : a hot sultry day
2 dog days plural : a period marked by dull lack of progress the dog days following any major upheaval
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?