Definition of different drummer
—used in phrases such as march to the beat of a different drummer to describe a person who thinks, lives, or behaves in an unusual way His strange behavior was no surprise—he had always marched to (the beat of) a different drummer.Her friends went to college, but she heard a different drummer and moved to the city to be an actor.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?