Definition of different drummer
—used in phrases such as march to the beat of a different drummer to describe a person who thinks, lives, or behaves in an unusual way His strange behavior was no surprise—he had always marched to (the beat of) a different drummer.Her friends went to college, but she heard a different drummer and moved to the city to be an actor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game