detract fromphrasal verb
detracted from; detracting from; detracts from
Definition of detract from
: to reduce the strength, value, or importance of (something) They worried that the scandal would seriously detract from her chances for reelection. The overcooked vegetables detracted somewhat from an otherwise fine meal.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game