descend fromphrasal verb
Definition of descend from
: to have (something or someone in the past) as an origin or source Recent evidence supports the theory that birds descended from dinosaurs. The plants descend from a common ancestor. They claim to be descended from a noble British family.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game