descended from; descending from; descends from
Definition of descend from
: to have (something or someone in the past) as an origin or source Recent evidence supports the theory that birds descended from dinosaurs. The plants descend from a common ancestor. They claim to be descended from a noble British family.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game