depth of compensation
Definition of depth of compensation
: the depth below the earth's surface at which the topographic inequalities are compensated by variations in rock density so that all columns of rock or of rock and water above the depth have approximately equal weights
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?