deprive ofphrasal verb
Definition of deprive of
: to take (something) away from (someone or something) : to not allow (someone or something) to have or keep (something) The change in her status deprived her of access to classified information. The new environmental law will deprive some fishermen of their livelihood. They're depriving him of a chance to succeed. —often used as (be) deprived of The children are being deprived of a good education.The study is examining what happens to people when they are deprived of sleep.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game