de·​for·​est·​ed (ˌ)dē-ˈfȯr-ə-stəd How to pronounce deforested (audio)
: cleared of forests : characterized by deforestation
deforested areas
All the rain lands on arid, deforested and stony ground.Nicholas Riccardi
It is now an eroded and deforested land of 12 million; its rivers are clogged with sediment and every year it is subjected to destructive floods.Paul Theroux
Today, it is one of the most deforested parts of the Brazilian Amazon.Wayne Ellwood

Examples of deforested in a Sentence

Recent Examples on the Web In the new research, 61 percent of the additional carbon storage would come from protecting existing forests and the other 39 percent from growing trees in deforested areas with low human footprints. Catrin Einhorn, New York Times, 13 Nov. 2023 Discoveries And Innovations More than one-third of the Amazon rainforest has been degraded by humans, according to new research, as scientists say the region is transitioning to become deforested at a pace faster than previously estimated. Alex Knapp, Forbes, 28 Jan. 2023 In Wales, one of the most deforested countries in Europe, the government is offering incentives for tree planting. New York Times, 14 Mar. 2022 Using satellite data, experts have already identified two major blazes in deforested areas of the Brazilian Amazon rain forest—more than two months before the start of the annual fire season. Lars Fischer, Scientific American, 17 June 2020 Across Africa, French foresters diagnosed naturally treeless landscapes as severely deforested and colonial governments seized control of the land from locals in the name of restoration. Julia Rosen, The Atlantic, 25 July 2022 The leather is tanned in Brazil using a process that requires less water, and it’s sourced from cattle that are not from deforested areas or exposed to antibiotics, pesticides, GMOs or chemical fertilizers. Danielle Directo-Meston, The Hollywood Reporter, 21 Sep. 2023 For decades, Maria da Conceicao Alves Rodrigues, 71, raised cattle on a 30-acre plot of land in this reserve, which has become one of the most deforested slices of the Brazilian Amazon despite being earmarked for sustainable development. Los Angeles Times, 5 Dec. 2022 On a patrol, Mr. Ramos Guerrero looks out across an almost deforested valley in a neighboring township. Mark Stevenson, The Christian Science Monitor, 31 Jan. 2022 See More

These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'deforested.' Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback about these examples.

Word History

First Known Use

1842, in the meaning defined above

Time Traveler
The first known use of deforested was in 1842

Dictionary Entries Near deforested

Cite this Entry

“Deforested.” Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, Accessed 1 Dec. 2023.

More from Merriam-Webster on deforested

Last Updated: - Updated example sentences
Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!