defeat the purpose ofidiom
Definition of defeat the purpose of
: to make (something) pointless It would defeat the purpose of having a nice car if you never got to drive it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game