Definition of decyl alcohol
: a monohydroxy alcohol C10H21OH derived from the decanes especially : the colorless to light yellow liquid primary alcohol CH3(CH2)8CH2OH derived from normal decane that is usually made by reduction of coconut oil or the fatty acids from this oil and is used chiefly as an intermediate for surface-active agents and perfumes
— called also 1-decanol, normal decyl alcohol
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game