debt to societyidiom
Definition of debt to society
—used in phrases such as pay your debt to society to refer to being punished for committing a crime After 10 years in prison, he has paid his debt to society and is a free man.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game