deal a blowidiom
Definition of deal a blow
: to hit (someone or something) so as to cause harm He dealt his enemy a mighty blow. —usually used figuratively The factory closing will deal a serious/severe/devastating/crushing blow to the town's economy.Her career as an ice skater was dealt a fatal blow when she broke her leg.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game