dead and buriedidiom
variants: or dead and gone
Definition of dead and buried
1 : no longer living : dead He's been dead and buried for 50 years. relatives long dead and gone
2 : no longer used or accepted Those old family traditions are dead and buried. The days of our childhood are dead and gone.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?