variants: or deleaf
de-leafed or deleafed; de-leafing or deleafing; de-leafs or deleafs
Definition of de-leaf
: to remove leaves from (a plant) Every afternoon, farmers walk down from the encircling hills with bundles of sprigs, deleafed and wrapped in banana leaves to conserve moisture on the all-night drive to Nairobi …— Michael Griffin They also train the vine canopy higher, which increases water evaporation from the leaves, and de-leaf more, hoping to increase airflow and prevent disease.— Mitch Frank
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game