da·val·lia | \ dəˈvalēə\
Definition of davallia
1 capitalized : a genus of Old World tropical ferns (family Polypodiaceae) having scaly creeping rhizomes and ample pinnate or pinnately decompound fronds with marginal sori and cuplike indusia which open toward the leaf apex
2 plural -s : any plant of the genus Davallia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?