Definition of dark continent
1 or Dark Continent : the continent of Africa It was by the merest caprice of fortune that they headed toward the west coast of Africa, instead of toward Zanzibar on the opposite side of the dark continent.— Edgar Rice Burroughs … little was actually known about the interior of the Dark Continent until the mid-1800s.— Angus Carroll
2 : something unknown or unexplored From Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, the world received the shocking discovery that man had opened the dark continent of the atom.— Daniel J. Boorstein
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game