Definition of dark age
1 : a time during which a civilization undergoes a decline: such as
a Dark Ages plural : the European historical period from about a.d. 476 to about 1000 broadly : middle ages
b or Dark Age : the Greek historical period of three to four centuries from about 1100 b.c. —often plural
2 or Dark Age
a : the primitive period in the development of something —usually plural in the dark ages of medicine
b : a state of stagnation or decline —usually plural
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?