Definition of dark age
1 : a time during which a civilization undergoes a decline: such as
a Dark Ages plural : the European historical period from about a.d. 476 to about 1000 broadly : middle ages
b or Dark Age : the Greek historical period of three to four centuries from about 1100 b.c. —often plural
2 or Dark Age
a : the primitive period in the development of something —usually plural in the dark ages of medicine
b : a state of stagnation or decline —usually plural
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game