Definition of dark age
1 : a time during which a civilization undergoes a decline: such as
a Dark Ages plural : the European historical period from about a.d. 476 to about 1000 broadly : middle ages
b or Dark Age : the Greek historical period of three to four centuries from about 1100 b.c. —often plural
2 or Dark Age
a : the primitive period in the development of something —usually plural in the dark ages of medicine
b : a state of stagnation or decline —usually plural
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game