Definition of cushion capital
1 : an architectural capital so sculptured as to look like a cushion pressed down by the weight of its entablature
2 : a capital especially in the Romanesque style modeled like a bowl whose upper part is cut away on four sides
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game