crys·to·sphene | \ ˈkristəˌsfēn\
Definition of crystosphene
: a buried sheet of ice under the tundra of northern America formed by the freezing of spring water which rises from the rock beneath alluvial deposits or under swamps and spreads laterally at the zone of freezing
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game