Definition of cryptid
: an animal (such as Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster) that has been claimed to exist but never proven to exist Contrary to popular belief, cryptids don't have to be supernatural, mythical or even all that strange—though many popular creatures acquire these characteristics as their legends grow.— Hayley Williams … fighting the Grafton Monster—a monstrous cryptid vaguely resembling a cross between Bigfoot and a seal …— Alan Olson
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?