crunch (the) numbersidiom
Definition of crunch (the) numbers
: to process numbers : to examine and analyze numbers, especially to determine exactly how much money is available, needed, etc. When we sat down to crunch the numbers we realized that we couldn't afford a new car.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game