crowd outphrasal verb
crowded out; crowding out; crowds out
Definition of crowd out
: to push, move, or force (something or someone) out of a place or situation by filling its space The quick-growing grass is crowding out native plants. She worries that junk food is crowding fruits and vegetables out of her children's diet.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game