Is criteria singular or plural?
- let me now return to the third criteria
- —R. M. Nixon
- that really is the criteria
- —Bert Lance
Examples of criterion in a Sentence
- There is really only one criterion for a grab bag of culinary facts and anecdotes like this: It has to make you look up occasionally and remark, "Hey! I never knew that." —Laura Shapiro, New York Times Book Review, 25 Dec. 1994
- … the induction committee waived its normal five-year retirement criteria for fear Kelley might never retire. —Todd Balf, Yankee, 4 Apr. 1992
- Christo argues that art must be measured by its effect on the shape of a community. By this criterion Running Fence was enormously successful. —O. B. Hardison, Jr., Disappearing Through the Skylight, 1989
What were the criteria used to choose the winner?
one criterion for grading these essays will be their conformity to the rules of traditional grammar
Recent Examples of criterion from the Web
These were patients whose inflammation level dropped below the entry criteria of the study, as measured with a simple blood test after the first dose of treatment.
This year, for the first time, the tournament selection committee added an additional criterion to its formula — the Quadrant System.
Thompson mentioned disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein as an example of a topic that’s been in the news but wouldn’t fit within HQ’s criteria of keeping things upbeat.
The families have to meet income requirements and other criteria.
There’s no sense in wasting your downtime worrying about checklist items that don’t fit either criteria.
The office of the historian of the House of Representatives declined to give more information about the criteria used to select Graham, or other past honorees.
More program details and application criteria are available on katvondbeauty.com.
By that criterion, Jared Kushner is a rank amateur.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'criterion.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
One person's principal criterion for a new car may be its gas mileage, while someone else's may be whether it has room for four children. When filling a job opening, employers usually look for several criteria (notice the plural form) in the applicants; and when college admissions officers are reading student applications, they likewise always keep a few basic criteria in mind. And when interviewing an applicant, one criterion for both the employer and the admissions officer might include the size of the applicant's vocabulary!
attribute, attribution, character, characteristic, differentia, feature, fingerprint, hallmark, mark, marker, note, particularity, peculiarity, point, property, quality, specific, stamp, touch, trait;
Synonym Discussion of criterion
- standards of behavior
- questioned the critic's criteria for excellence
- polls as a gauge of voter dissatisfaction
- housing construction as a yardstick of economic growth
- fine service is one touchstone of a first-class restaurant
CRITERION Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of criterion for English Language Learners
: something that is used as a reason for making a judgment or decision
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up criterion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).