Is criteria singular or plural?
- let me now return to the third criteria
- —R. M. Nixon
- that really is the criteria
- —Bert Lance
Examples of criterion in a Sentence
- There is really only one criterion for a grab bag of culinary facts and anecdotes like this: It has to make you look up occasionally and remark, "Hey! I never knew that." —Laura Shapiro, New York Times Book Review, 25 Dec. 1994
- … the induction committee waived its normal five-year retirement criteria for fear Kelley might never retire. —Todd Balf, Yankee, 4 Apr. 1992
- Christo argues that art must be measured by its effect on the shape of a community. By this criterion Running Fence was enormously successful. —O. B. Hardison, Jr., Disappearing Through the Skylight, 1989
What were the criteria used to choose the winner?
one criterion for grading these essays will be their conformity to the rules of traditional grammar
Recent Examples of criterion from the Web
There is not any reference to race or ethnicity in our admissions criteria.
Like most of us in 2018, my vacation criteria consists of scenic ways to escape social media, the never-ending news cycle, and basically, my phone in general.
Companies such as Morningstar also decide whether to categorize a fund as an ESG fund based its criteria as well.
The potential bonus amounts and their criteria have not yet been set for fiscal year 2019.
The Washington Post compiled a list of 1,081 people killed in events that met its criteria for mass shootings.
Strike any residences from your list that don’t meet your criteria.
Does Facebook incorporate any data about moods or psychological states into its micro-targeting criteria?
Harrods has sent a team to carefully curate the edit, meaning everything on offer will match their exacting criteria.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'criterion.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Did You Know?
One person's principal criterion for a new car may be its gas mileage, while someone else's may be whether it has room for four children. When filling a job opening, employers usually look for several criteria (notice the plural form) in the applicants; and when college admissions officers are reading student applications, they likewise always keep a few basic criteria in mind. And when interviewing an applicant, one criterion for both the employer and the admissions officer might include the size of the applicant's vocabulary!
attribute, attribution, character, characteristic, differentia, feature, fingerprint, hallmark, mark, marker, note, particularity, peculiarity, point, property, quality, specific, stamp, touch, trait;
Synonym Discussion of criterion
- standards of behavior
- questioned the critic's criteria for excellence
- polls as a gauge of voter dissatisfaction
- housing construction as a yardstick of economic growth
- fine service is one touchstone of a first-class restaurant
CRITERION Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of criterion for English Language Learners
: something that is used as a reason for making a judgment or decision
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up criterion? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).