Examples of courteous in a Sentence
- There was no doubt that his stubbornly held and trenchantly expressed views—his trenchancy always tempered, however, by his gently courteous manner—contributed significantly to his unpopularity … —Simon Winchester, The Man Who Loved China, 2008
- … she has seen generations of boys come and go, some well groomed and courteous, others rough and uppity … —Julian Barnes, New Yorker, 5 Mar. 1990
- He joined us in the Yellow Room with … his son, a thoughtful, courteous, nice doctor … —Lady Bird Johnson 27 May 1964, in A White House Diary, 1970
The clerks were helpful and courteous.
their customer service department always gives courteous responses, even to rude people
Recent Examples of courteous from the Web
Russians in the 11 cities are being asked to be courteous to the guests and also pick up litter.
One result of the therapy is that Annie meets Joan (Ann Dowd), a fellow-mourner, warm and courteous, who teaches her how to contact the dearly departed.
American Airlines notified the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office, which has jurisdiction at Mitchell Airport, and detectives made the arrest on April 22, 2017. 'Biggest mistake of my life' Dixon and Spann were polite and courteous to detectives.
Attendees will learn general information about boats and maintenance, information to make their boating experience safer, and tips on how to be a more courteous boat operator.
Starbucks is within its rights to kick people out of their shops who do not purchase the company’s products, but treating two apparently courteous and professional men like dangerous criminals reflects some serious bias issues.
A year ago, one of the group members posted an image of his sign, which asked neighbors to be courteous with fireworks because of his PTSD.
Outwardly, the Senate remains overwhelmingly courteous.
Weekender occupants are more likely to be less courteous and responsible to neighbors.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'courteous.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonym Discussion of courteous
- owed the questioner a civil reply
- if you can't be pleasant, at least be polite
- clerks who were unfailingly courteous to customers
- a gallant suitor of the old school
- a chivalrous display of duty
COURTEOUS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of courteous for English Language Learners
: very polite in a way that shows respect
COURTEOUS Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up courteous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).