variants: or counter-demand
plural counterdemands or counter-demands
Definition of counterdemand
: a demand made by one party in opposition or response to a demand made by another party I suspect the real villain for tech is more sinister: foreign government demands that U.S. companies code "backdoor" entries in software and devices to permit citizen monitoring, and U.S. agency counterdemands that such efforts be reserved for American spying.— John D. Markman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game