variants: or counter-order
plural counterorders or counter-orders
Definition of counterorder
: a contradicting or countermanding order During the frequent riots of the Lindsay era, police often under- or overreacted—while various officials, including the mayor's civilian aides, issued orders and counterorders, exacerbating the disorder.— Thomas A. Reppetto
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?