count one's chickens (before they hatch)idiom
variants: or British count one's chickens before they're hatched
Definition of count one's chickens (before they hatch)
—usually used in negative statements to mean that someone should not depend on something hoped for until he or she knows for certain that it will happen Don't count your chickens (before they hatch)—you don't know yet if she will accept your offer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game