cordon offphrasal verb
cordoned off; cordoning off; cordons off
Definition of cordon off
: to prevent people from getting into (an area) by putting a line of people or objects around or in front of it Police cordoned off the street.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game