Definition of copper oxide
: any oxide of copper: such as
a : the oxide Cu2O that occurs naturally as cuprite and is obtained as red or yellow crystals or powder by oxidation of copper in a furnace or by electrolysis and that is used chiefly as a pigment (as in ceramics and in antifouling paints) and as a seed disinfectant and fungicide
— called also copper(I) oxide, cuprous oxide, red copper oxide
b : the monoxide CuO that occurs naturally as paramelaconite and tenorite, is obtained usually in black amorphous form by oxidizing copper, and is used chiefly in preparing cuprammonium solution, as a pigment in ceramics, as a catalyst for hydrogenations, and in chemical analysis
— called also black copper oxide, copper(II) oxide, cupric oxide
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?