variants: or less commonly Control key
Definition of control key
: a key on a computer keyboard that when pressed in combination with other keys enables special commands or symbols to be accessed Pressing "z" while holding down the control key often undoes the last action. —abbreviation Ctrl — compare alt key
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game