Definition of contradict oneself
: to say or do something that is opposite or very different in meaning to something else that one said or did earlier The witness contradicted herself when she insisted she could identify the thief even though she had said that the night was too foggy to see clearly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game