Definition of contradict oneself
: to say or do something that is opposite or very different in meaning to something else that one said or did earlier The witness contradicted herself when she insisted she could identify the thief even though she had said that the night was too foggy to see clearly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game