Definition of consistory
1 : a solemn assembly : council
2 : a church tribunal or governing body: such as
a : a solemn meeting of Roman Catholic cardinals convoked and presided over by the pope
b : a church session in some Reformed churches
3 : the organization that confers the degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry usually from the 19th to the 32nd inclusive also : a meeting of such an organization
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?