Definition of common merganser
: a merganser (Mergus merganser) widely distributed in the northern hemisphere with the male having mostly white plumage and a blackish-green head during the breeding season and the female and nonbreeding male having mostly gray plumage and a reddish-brown head
— called also (chiefly British) goosander
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?