Definition of commoditized
1 : made into a commodity … it takes a good from the commons, diminishes or degrades it, and then sells it back to us in commoditized form. Pollute our lakes and rivers and then sell us swimming pools and bottled water.— Jonathan Rowe specifically, of a product or service : widely available and interchangeable with one provided by another company Commoditized products are those things that everyone needs: clothes, toys, food, makeup, etc. These are the products that are sold by the big brands such as Target and Amazon. — Eric Samson
2 : affected by commoditizing goods or services A market is commoditized when competing products are effectively interchangeable and therefore customers make decisions based solely on price.— Chris Dixon Even if you're in a commoditized business like running a restaurant or selling coffee, you can still provide an extra level of service, ambiance and perks to make it worth it to your customers.— Gene Marks
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game