Definition of commissioned
1a of an artistic or literary work : ordered to be made in exchange for payment a commissioned portrait The Ohio Ballet's recent … commissioned works by modernists Laura Dean and the frenetic Molissa Fenley …— David McCracken … the commissioned piece that highlighted his Lincoln Center concert …— Larry Blumenfeld
b : having received a commission (see commission entry 1 sense 2b) to create an artistic or literary work a commissioned artist
2 : receiving a commission (see commission entry 1 sense 6) as a fee a commissioned salesperson
3 of a ship : ready for active service : in commission But few of the Bostonians depicted here on Constitution Wharf at Boston Harbor would have predicted that the old ship would … remain a commissioned Navy ship for so many years to come.— Tyrone Martin
4 : having or involving a commission (see commission entry 1 sense 1) conferring rank, authority, or power a commissioned notary public Of these [Irish] volunteers [in the British armed forces] I estimate that approximately 8,000 served in the commissioned ranks.— Steven O'Connor — see also commissioned officer
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game