come/crawl out of the woodworkidiom
Definition of come/crawl out of the woodwork
: to appear suddenly usually because one sees an opportunity to get something for oneself As soon as she won the lottery, people started coming out of the woodwork, asking for money.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game