come/crawl out of the woodworkidiom
Definition of come/crawl out of the woodwork
: to appear suddenly usually because one sees an opportunity to get something for oneself As soon as she won the lottery, people started coming out of the woodwork, asking for money.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game