Definition of come crashing down
: to fall down with a lot of noise and force The whole stack of cans came crashing down. —sometimes used figuratively The whole theory came crashing down when it was revealed that some of the supporting evidence had been falsified.His world came crashing down when he lost his job.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game