come crashing downidiom
Definition of come crashing down
: to fall down with a lot of noise and force The whole stack of cans came crashing down. —sometimes used figuratively The whole theory came crashing down when it was revealed that some of the supporting evidence had been falsified.His world came crashing down when he lost his job.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?