close the gapidiom
Definition of close the gap
: to reduce or eliminate a difference between two people, groups, or things —often + between We hope to close the gap between well-funded suburban schools and the struggling schools in poorer communities.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game