variants: or less commonly cleché \ klāˈshā , kleˈ- , ˈkleshē \ or clechy \ ˈkleshē \
Definition of clechée
of a heraldic cross
: voided and having each extremity shaped like the handle of a medieval key — compare urdée
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game