Definition of clearer
(Entry 1 of 2)
comparative form of the adjective clear
a clearer understanding a clearer explanation … until we have a clearer idea what we are about, we will remain on Matthew Arnold's darkling plain where, swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight, ignorant armies clash by night.— Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
Definition of clearer (Entry 2 of 2)
: a person or thing that clears or clears away something Cromwell reminds sidewalk clearers that they can't fling, blow or plow snow into city streets.— Mike Ferguson Clearers manually search with a metal detector and a pointed stick and, like archaeologists on a dig, extract the mines with small digging implements.— Maureen Rouhi Goldsmith tells us, that when a lovely woman stoops to folly, she has nothing to do but to die; and when she stoops to be disagreeable, it is equally to be recommended as a clearer of ill-fame.— Jane Austen
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game