clear upphrasal verb
cleared up; clearing up; clears up
Definition of clear up
1 of weather or the sky : to change so that there are no clouds, fog, etc. The sky cleared up after the rain. It's cloudy now, but it's clearing up gradually.
2 of the skin : to become free of marks or spots My skin cleared up when I started using the cream.
3 : to go away My symptoms cleared up once I started using the cream.
4 British : to make an area clean or tidy Let's clear up before we leave.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game