Definition of clarifying
1 : making something less confusing or easier to understand : providing clarity a clarifying question/statement gave some clarifying information Here is that rare bird, a clarifying book about an important and muddied subject.— Robert Heilbroner … he experienced the rare clarifying moment of discovering one's talent …— Emma Sandler
2 : removing impurities or particulates clarifying lotion/shampoo In the winery, most traditional practices and materials are sanctioned, such as the use of … bentonite clay as a clarifying agent.— Richard Steven Street
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game