Definition of clarifying
1 : making something less confusing or easier to understand : providing clarity a clarifying question/statement gave some clarifying information Here is that rare bird, a clarifying book about an important and muddied subject.— Robert Heilbroner … he experienced the rare clarifying moment of discovering one's talent …— Emma Sandler
2 : removing impurities or particulates clarifying lotion/shampoo In the winery, most traditional practices and materials are sanctioned, such as the use of … bentonite clay as a clarifying agent.— Richard Steven Street
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game