circle the/one's wagonsidiom
Definition of circle the/one's wagons
chiefly US, informal
: to gather a group of people together in order to protect them from being attacked —usually used figuratively Reporters tend to circle the wagons whenever the media are attacked for bias.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?